I’m chuffed to see what my mate, Luke Waters, has produced here for SBS World News. I was with Luke in Beirut back in April 2013. We were all prepared for the bus ride to Damascus when his employers pulled him out – apparently considering entry into Syria just too dangerous at the time. It was a great shame to leave him behind on what turned out to be a fabulous and fascinating journey. Almost three years later Luke finally made it into Syria. I think you’ll agree though that his reports were worth waiting for!
Luke’s reports were broadcast over six nights on SBS World News. All six reports are combined in this video. If you’d like to watch any of the segments individually, they can be broken up as follows:
- Reporting from the front-line in Jobar
- Exploring Damascus (4:02)
- Meeting the families of the martyrs (8:08)
- Refuges of the internally displaced (11:39)
- Aid workers in Madaya (16:02)
- Syrian children rediscover music (19:00)
Luke also did an interview about his trip to Syria with Steve Price on 2GB. You can hear that interview here.